Translate

Saturday 24 April 2010

Popovo, New Scenery, Huge House, Curtains & Meeting new People



Yesterday was a good day! I love experiencing new things, meeting new people, visiting new places, especially after being cooped up for months on end in dreary light, thick snow & freezing temps! Sad I know that little things lift my mood so much but maybe that's it S.A.D who knows, but when that sun starts to shine be it hot in spring/summer or in the midst of winter in minus temps with snow drifts all around, I feel happy. So with all those things in place I had a good day :D
We popped to Popovo to have a look around, not having been there but being impressed with the scenery in that area I was keen to have a butchers!
I liked popovo, it was half closed, lol, but had a good feel to it, very colourful houses amidst the tall communist blocks some of which had very colourful balcony's, lots of greenery & colourful flowers in the gardens of peoples homes, yes it had a good feel. The town was a lot bigger than Polski Trambesh but smaller than Gorna Oryhovitsa, with a mix of coffee shops, little Piazza's & the usual mix of clothes, super markets, hardware etc. We managed to have a nice piece of torte with a cup of Nescafe 3in1. its a chance you have to take, sort though the maze of highly coloured cakes & plump for the ones that look not too fake, IE colour & creme, as these can be truly awful!!!! There is a distinct lack of decent coffee shops here in this part of Bulgaria, its possible to find a good cup of coffee or a good tea on occasion both but finding both with a really good torte is HARD!!!! The one place we have found is a little coffee shop in the same building as CBA next door to Practika in Veliko Turnovo, not very salubrious! We need a coffee shop with all three things in a good setting with outside seating in summer selling good Torte & Banitsa!

I have been looking for the perfect Bulgarian curtains & net as people have been seen looking over wall into our house even though we have quite a long frontage they still manage to see in :( This has been unbelievably hard, its all voile & sparkly shimmery material's. now don't get me wrong I love these but I needed something to let light in but not prying eyes. Eventually I gave up & found some light cotton curtains I have not used in 10 years, they are cream calligraphy letters & writing design. My friend Patricia shortened them for me & I have secured them back with bronze coloured sun grips, I think they work well. So guess how surprised I was when checking out the window of a shop which resembles UK charity shops, having a mix of new & secondhand clothing & household items, I saw exactly what I had been looking for, yeay, bit late though :D Still I did buy the perfect curtain for my kitchen french doors (when the kitchen is built lol) & I got some for my doors so to say I am well pleased is an understatement :)
I did look at buying some towels for B&B guests, the price is worked out per kilo!!
That was too much for my befuddled brain & they are cheaper in Tesco's so I will wait.

There a tiny little houses set back by the side of the main road going into Popovo, most are one up one down really pretty with a bit of land for a market garden I suppose. At first sight they look like an allotment with shed then more & more come into view & it becomes obvious people live in them, very quaint but I would love to find out more about them!

Popped over to see kareena, to get a plan of action for her next trip, & met a couple who had been here exactly one year. Its good to hear the different lifestyles people lead here, the differing expectations that are being met or not. Happily this couple & their two young step brothers are settling in well & loving Bulgaria, just like us :D
Still cant get over the size of Kareena's house, well houses if you count the bakery which is bigger than any house, If anything I think it looks bigger on second visit!! Did eventually get around to planning etc :)

1 comment:

  1. My daughter and son in law will be moving to the Popovo/Varna area later this year. What do you advice they SHOULD take and should NOT take. Read your comments about towels! Thanks. Claire
    Email: clairet.clements@googlemail.com

    ReplyDelete