Translate

Monday 9 August 2010

73 days down...83 to go, House of Pooh & Wee, Maya, Oh Bugger Out Go the Tomatoes & Sun Sun Sun

Well what a lot has happened in a week!!!


Firstly I said in my last blog hopefully the vulnerability I was feeling would only last a couple of weeks, well it went quite quickly I think because so much has happened it sort of got thrown away with the rubbish! I feel fine now, thank goodness & at 73 days in I am used to being on my own! I don't like it but I can do it!!!!

Well last Monday evening Maya & Sophie fell out big time I think over the pup but I’m not sure! It took more than two buckets of water to get Maya to let go & when she did Sophie was spurting blood from her neck, so much so I thought it was an artery & that she was dying!

I just got a mound of bandage & chucked loads of cold water on her neck with it. I phoned my neighbour & we went in search of the vet who I knew was in UK but Atanas was having none of it. So we traipsed round to his farm with me getting angrier each step to find ho hum he wasn’t there!!! The policeman wasn’t there either which I didn’t want him so while I was getting downright murderouse I walked off & phoned Mary! Good old Mary always good in times of trouble here. Mary phoned her friend who gave her the number of a vet, she phoned & he went to his surgery in Polski Trambesh while Atanas got his brother in law to take us there a 20 min journey, great what can be done when we all work together! Sophie had 4 or 5 injections & an antiseptic spray, none of which she liked! I cannot put a collar on her for a while & she is still 7 days later feeling a bit under the weather but I think she is fine at least she is still with us!
Which unfortunately is not the case for Maya! Maya had to go back to the rescue center as I cannot put Sophie at risk like that & she also after this had a fight with reggie well its too much stress on us all. The problem being perhaps something to do with her condition or state of mind which can be changed with Homeopathic meds which she needs anyway. The staff at the center do not have the time or resources to see this treatment through which is why she came to me & Bulgaria is lacking in homes for stray & abandoned animals so it was likely she would be put to sleep 
Both myself & Nigel were upset at this & have agreed to a plan B The center will hopefully dependant on finances Sophie proof my existing front fence to stop Sophie getting out the back & a basic dog enclosure will be built to enclose Maya & she will have Reggies kennel which he won’t use as her home. She will be able to run in the paddock & with good weather I can observe her symptoms so she gets the right treatment. The general consensus is she will be back mixing with the other dogs very quickly, I hope so!!! A quote for the work is in the offing so we hope this will be under way shortly! Maya was collected on Wednesday & didn’t want to go, bless her it was heart breaking she wouldn’t let anyone take her except me then when she realized she was getting in a car she sat down in the gateway & would not budge for anyone  So very sad. Sophie was also very upset. So to say I am happy with plan B is an understatement

So this week has been sun, sun, sun woop!!!! so for me sun = book & pool & a happy girlie!!!! Housework wel I finally got around to that yesterday well some & now it will wait again for another overcaste day :)
I also took the opportunity yesterday while the sun was in to pull up my tomato plants over 70 plants all ruined by the three months of rain here. This is not usual for Bulgaria & we have lost our main crops, very gutted!!!! The grapes are looking very bad although some are starting to turn black (they are black grapes for red vino), I must keep a good eye on them & as soon as they are ready I will be harvesting them, that’s if there are any left by then!

Next doors pear tree is losing its leaves too, the pears are ok & look really good but the tree is suffering its like autumn here with all the leaves shedding from that & my vines!My pear tree’s have come to nothing all I have this year are apples which I hate so I will be making plenty Dorset Apple cakes this year!
So this week I have compoted some very strange fruit, no idea what they are & will await Nigel’s return before trying them.







I have been assured by plenty of villagers that they are mnogo houbovo (very beautiful) & they are good for upset tummy & runs :D So I have made three large jars just in case LOL. Also working on the premise that compoted Morrello cherries are gorgeous as opposed to spitting them out with a vengeance when picked from tree so these could be similar, I hope.


I havew also been told they are like Plums so maybe they are the Morrello of the plum family?

Does anyone know what these are called????











I also made Tomato soup from the only tomatoes I managed to save from my vines I have put it down in freezer till Nigel’s return, that should warm his cockles. It’s very delicious too Mmmm!







I have bloged the recipe, try it its easy peasy & flipping delicious, even if I say so myself! :D

Use fresh tomatoes though!!!!








I was invited to Yovo & Pavlinak's for coffee Saturday morning. I haven't seen much of them as they have been so busy in their small holding & have canned hundreds & hundreds of jars of veg for the winter, so it was nice to see them, Coffee for them is a big thing, not like us :(  I would guess its a bit like The english inviting someone for afternoon tea, only at 9.30am!
We had Bulgarian coffee with goat milk (from Yovo's goats) cirene goat cheese with great hunks of cold fried bread & honey from the Nicki the neighbours bees & tomatoes strangely all very nice although I'm not quite sure about the honey on cold fried bread but it wasn't disgusting. I am sure though with a diet that high in fat could be the reason behind the high blood preasure they both have & if they are not careful which they are not a heart attack at some time! I worked on the premise that once a year won't hurt, hopefully!!!
I came home laden down with 3 pounds tomatoes ,2 pounds peppers, a large jar of goat milk, two big lumps of goat cheese, 3 cuecumbers & 2 slices of fried bread!  I promptly gave the dogs the milk & when I put the rest in the fridge found Reggie had eaten the cheese :(   little bugger I was looking forward to that with a salad as its soooo much nicer than the stuff you buy in the shops!

This week has been the house of pooh & weewee's! I am training Minishka who is a girl not a boy as was last reported lol, so name change from Minishko to Minishka! So tiny pooh's but pooh's none the less & wee wee's everywhere :( lots of poping on end of nose & taking outside to dirt area & finally we are getting somewhere yeay she is a clever girl!!!
Sophie is a really good mummy & they play all evening when the sun has gone lots of play fighting chewing of Sophies ears & legs etc. She also likes to chew my flip flops, not so good!
I had forgotten what fun a puppy is she is hilarious!!
Now we wait for Maya.......

No comments:

Post a Comment