Translate

Wednesday 16 June 2010

Day 19 on my own, Morrello Cherries,Pool catastrophe, Hot Humid & Gardening!


Day 19 of being on my own & I am OK!!!!

Mmmmm, I am typing this while sitting in the garden as it’s the first day in yonks we have had cloud so I am taking the opportunity of being in the cool breeze.


Its so humid that I am still not dry from my shower 2 hours ago! & my hair which was dried by hair dryer is wet again. Hence the cooling process by being out in the breeze & what a beautiful breeze it is. I think we are going to have a little thunder storm as the breeze is gaining momentum & the cloud is gathering, oh please we so need it!

The thermometer was off the top yesterday it reached the top 50c 122f & it could have been more, this was in the sun in the pool area.

The temps for the last week have been 116f with one day 118f then yesterday was stupid this is beginning of June not July/ August!!!! Oh don’t get me wrong I am not going to complain I love it but am not used to being flung straight into stupidly high heat, anyway I am English that’s what we do moan about the weather lol!

Thank goodness we have the plunge pool I have spent every day in it & on the Lillo its been wonderful to lie by it reading then just jump in & cool down Mmmmm!!! Then yesterday I was waiting for Anton to come & spray the Grape Vines, but didn’t arrive till 7pm! I decided after a couple of hours that I had to get changed into my swimming costume, my daily wardrobe is costume & sarong I only put clothes on if I go out, or I am expecting someone. I opened the gate to the sounds out rushing water & found the pump hose had split, the pool water was shooting out at an alarming rate L Water here is on a meter, Plus & very importantly the water temp had reached a beautiful 80f & now if I was able to fix the problem it would be a lot cooler L


As you can see the pool area is still under construction :D but will be surrounded with pebbles when Nigel comes back so will remind me of Bognor regis where I lived for so many years





I had no idea how to fix the problem so I hoisted the hose up over a chair to stop it gushing it was a slow dribble this enabled me to enjoy the pool for the day but I had lost about 2 “ of water. I spoke to Nigel in the evening but it was dark so I couldn’t do anything then & on checking found the hose gushing again where the hose had now split in 3 places ARGH….. I tied the hose to the chair & it now had a fast dribble but nothing else could be done. After talking with Nige I had a couple of choices & this morning I had a good look at the hose to see if I could just chop out the broken hose & re fit. Well no that wouldn’t work so I went to get the hose that was attached to the other pump but the jubilee clip needed a screwdriver to undo it. Before I went on the hunt I found an unopened bag which had three bungs in, Nigel kept asking if there was plugs by the pump inlet & outlet holes but there wasn’t. I took the bungs & tried to fit one in the hole, getting very wet J but My hands were too weak & the bung kept shooting off with water spurting out like a fountain. By this time I was too scared to move away to find something to help me get it on then had a brainwave, I broke the end off the hose the bit that fitted on the pool, forced the bung into it then jubilee cliped it together & so far all is well I am re filling the pool & hope it is sorted!!!!

In the time it took me to write that the clouds have parted & the sun is HOT!!!! So much for the cooling breeze!

Monday I actually got out of the village the first time in nearly three weeks! I was given a lift to Kaufland to get some shopping & pay the Mobil phone bill. It was nice to speak English & be understood, need that sometimes you know where you can just talk rubbish haha. it’s always a pleasure to go anywhere here as the scenery is beautiful & it’s a gorgeous country I have missed seeing & interacting with it L. So it was on with clothes for the first time in at least two weeks but no makeup its an impossibility in this heat & humidity. As soon as I got home it was back in the cosy & straight into the pool haha. I absolutely love & adore this life but its feels empty without Nigel, I miss him so much! It doesn’t seem right without his naked lounging & swimming by the pool last year, the best thing about being very private is that my husbands extroversions comes out more hehehe. Must be a stiff upper lip thing as a couple have just moved here & the husband was in his garden naked drinking his morning tea, see all quite normal!!!!


My poor dogs are suffering especially Reggie my Karakachan as he has such thick fur but I would not want to be the one to shave him ha. I put them down in the paddock under the trees where there is shade & breeze, Nigel used the brush cutter to make me a path & them a dog area but this is quickly growing so I will have to pay someone in the village to come & sythe it for me soon. Still ok for them as they have a quilt to lie on & a huge tub of water but it can be a bit dangerous for me as its sooo overgrown we have snakes living there & one crossed my path as I was taking them down. I am not scared of snakes & I did try & follow it but couldn’t get a handle on how long it was. It was black which is different to the other snake I saw there & I have no idea what they are just hope they are harmless but that’s why I need a pathway.


This is half the paddock this much again where the dogs go for respite & the apple, pear, damson trees are

A lot of weeding to do in the garden but difficult in this heat so I do a bit here & there & it mounts up eventually. So I am still doing the pumpkin patch but by the time I have watered all the veggies & pots, fed the dogs its time to put dinner on & chat to Nigel on FB so not much getting done at the moment. I have harvested the first kilo of Morrello cherries though. This is a fantastic tree the cherries are lovely & quite sweet as well as tart I actually ate some from the tree!!!! This tree does'nt get attacked by ants or bugs & the birds leave it alone, not sweet enough for them :)

I did jars of compote last year so thought this year I would make jam with the past two disasters under my belt from the sweet cherries I took extra time & researched even more to find out what I am doing wrong & find the perfect recipe for a tart cherry. Last night I painstakingly pitted & prepared my jam all to be very disappointed yet again. Oh this time I have jam but it is still a bit too thick for my taste, useable though! I don’t think I will bother again the rest of the tree will be Compote which I love, silly really I don’t eat jam but I wanted it for Nigel, sorry my Darling :(


Right I'm off to plunge in the pool, lets see how much cooler it is :( 

No comments:

Post a Comment