Translate

Sunday 30 May 2010

First two days alone, Engagement party & Peppers

So Nigel is in UK, interview Tuesday, fingers crossed & I am now a work widow but hope only for two months then he will be home.


Got lots done yesterday in the garden dug over some veg plots planted broccoli cauliflower Pumpkins Beetroot , now lets see if the dogs stay off & let them grow! I am resigned to seeing nothing from them except Pumpkin if I’m lucky!

My main concern is the peppers these are being bought tonight from Jordan who seems to supply all the plants to the village, for us who don’t grow from seed. I have cultivated (is that the word?) from seeds all the above along with grapes, peppers, white runner beans, two types of lettuce & sunflowers. I really only expect the pumpkins to do well though! We bought the tomatoes too & I have different sizes. Last year I had tomatoes that weighed over 2 kilo each!!!! I made great tomato soupa & will be stocking the freezer again this year., I still have peppers I froze but whole ones oh & of course the ones I pickled, still have a few jars of those lol. I grew from seed melon (the smallest in the world but boy they were sweet!) carrots, parsnips, potatoes, garlic(bulb) so this year I hope to learn from last. I will be planting the carrots when I have pulled this years garlic & the peppers will go in tomorrow. I think I have everything growing that I will use often in cooking, apart from potatoes but think its cheaper to buy them ha-ha! I think I have learnt lots, we will see next year!

Before Nigel abandoned me to village life on my own ha-ha, I got him to build me a compost bin. Well its more a compost area penned in that will grow with me!
I have had withdrawals as I composted everything I could in UK. So we are off to a good start again for next year. Also bought some plastic barrels, which I think are for Rakia, took the lids off put taps in & Walla one is catching rain water (so hence its almost empty) & the other is for water that normally goes down the sink! I should save loads on water bills this year which will help pay for the pool water ha-ha. I have been watering the veg & plants with the barrel water then using the hose if I run out!

Ok enough with the boring garden stuff, it ceases to be interesting after a bit !

Yovo & Pavlinka threw an engagement party for Svetlana & Emile today & I was asked along with my camera. Now I wasn’t sure if I was to stay for the lunch or just take photos. I should know really!!!
Well I managed to get a couple of good shots (not in this blog as they will be their special pic's) but it is difficult as soon as they see you go to take a photo they do their stupid poses, trying to be on OK mag hehe!


I had a great time the couple were really happy even if they did look like they had stepped out of “Saturday Night Fever” bless them that's what I like about Bulgarians!!! Some are sooooo over the top fashionable but most are straight out of the 70’s & 80’s. I have never known Svetlana to be sooo happy so Emile in my eyes is a good guy! pavlinka can't wait as she desperately wants to be a Baba so now her daughter is to marry she has hope, bless!!! Yovo is just Yovo he takes it all in his stride with his smiley face & shrugs good naturedly, I am sure he is relieved!  It was great to see Denka their sister in law & Yovo's brother who never says a word, weird, but nice to see him again :) I think a great day had by all.

So some Bulgarian traditions;

1. Pop a large choc in your mouth & let your intended kiss you while sucking it out into their mouth, gag!!!

2. Snog the face off each other while everyone chants something ehhy its Bulgarian I don’t know what they were saying, can someone enlighten me? Uhh ok to start till they got drunker then it was a bit ugh!!!


3. Decorate cart with balloons’ & when driving said car continually honk horn, every celebration does this! Sweet.


4. Feel up your intended woman’s breasts at every opportunity even though her elderly parents & Uncles etc can see Hmmm!

5. Hand around a box of chocs & give each person a kiss, I think the kiss is optional? This is also done if its your birthday name day etc. I like this I have had people knock on my gate just to give me a chocolate for their birthday J

6. Invite at least one person who will get everyone going so it won't be boring!

7. Make sure you stick out your boobs hip or leg, the only way to pose for a photo!


 8. Break out in folk song & play a musical instrument


9. Must have too much food & drink or people will think you are poor!


10. Must suck up to parents when in a drunken state :D

I had a really great day & it was a different mix of people younger with lots of townies so had a completely different feel to normal parties although they are all great!!! They always have one life & soul of the party & today was no different but he was very funny & most of the time I had no idea what he was saying LOL. I love groups of Bulgarians they are always fun in a big group!!!
I love it when they get out the musical instruments & sing folk songs, no dancing though which was a shame, maybe they do it at my house cause I make them hahaha.
When they left Pavlinka & Yovo's they went to Emile's mum's to do it all again & she will give the engagement ring to Pavlinka, ahh I think its lovely!!! can't wait for the wedding its gonna be a hoot!!! Hopefully Nov/Dec.


Well interrupted blog to go buy peppers, 230 plants water crops & feed dogs phew dinner in oven & hope husband on FB chat so off I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment