Translate

Thursday 15 July 2010

Day 47, Komshu, Goodbye Weeds, Hello Garden, Sad Times!

Well 47 days on my own and its just gotten worse, emotionally. Nigel has to stay in UK till November working so that we have enough money to live on for a year as the driving job that was lined up here in Bulgaria has fallen through for the moment. It's the economic climate I'm afraid not enough work to go around not enough people sending things back to UK which means its not economical to send a driver with an empty van. Still at least we know now & can get used to the idea & get on with life! It's the not knowing that’s the worst! Now we can plan & scheme for next year.


Today I have been cheered up by my Komshu's (neighbour's) help in the garden. It had become completely unmanageable through all the rain & I could not see me ever getting it sorted. As soon as I had cleared one veggie patch & moved onto the next, the one I had cleared was back where it was :-(


So I had a why didn't I think of that before moment & asked them if they would rabota motika gradena dva leva chasa, lots of da da da & in they came immediately :-) well they definitely need the money & I definitely needed the help.

Oh I can't tell you how much better I feel with a property that looks good & I don't see negatives when I look now its all positive!!! It was really nice to sit & chat with them in our malko pachifka's (small breaks) oh & before anyone picks me up on my spelling please don't, I know it's not correct some of the time but at least I can say it :-) & it really took my mind of the fact that I am looking at a long time ahead alone.


Soooo hot today too 38c so I am well impressed with them they worked really hard almost non stop for 8 hours, all for £12! Tomorrow Atanas will Cosa the paddock (Scythe) see if he can do it better than Anton's pathetic attempt & Motika the pool area & drive, so more money but worth every penny! I hope now we will go into our drought period so I can keep it all under control.

Poor Camilla is scared of the kostinorka's (Tortoise) all three were out & about & the baby was found too hehe I had to keep getting them away from her, bless!

I am excited now as I am going to phone England tonight & speak to my granddaughter Molly 4yrs old! I know it's going to upset me as I miss them all so much :-( she will want to know all about the dogs & cats & if I have snow :D

The Grosne (grapes) are dying, same for everyone here too much rain, its very sad as it looked like another bumper crop but now I don’t know how much will survive, so not much vino this year. we are maturing our wine and was looking forward to having loads of new maturing & drinking last years while still saving some to mature for the following year. Last years vino is Mmmmm & will only get better!. The Bulgarians drink it straight away & never get to taste it at its best, they can't believe it's our wine, well more fool them! They do the same with the Rakia so I have only had a couple of good Rakia’s where you can drink it neat, I always have it with Voda (water) . Now I am not a drinker & in fact didn’t drink in UK perhaps once a year or two years, I'm a coffee & cola girl. Drank so much when I was young I poisoned myself & would get very ill after just one sip! That tells you how much I like the home grown stuff :-) & I think it has to do with the lifestyle of eating & drinking what is grown naturally on your own land!!!

My friend Mary has come to stay for two weeks, yeay, four days gone already, don’t know where the time goes? She is an English teacher in the village school & also translates books & publications. Until she met us she had never spoken to an English person it was all taught & teaching without interaction! I found out yesterday she has never been outside of Bulgaria, even though she lived for years in Rousse she never went across the bridge to Romania!!! Now Mary is very bohemian & free so not your run of the mill stay at home, quite shocking!

Have cleaned the pool today & getting the water nice & healthy so i can get back to enjoying the weather again, thank goodness the sun is back, it's not been cold but very wet & Bulgaria's crops have been ruined. We will find veggies & bread will be very expensive later.


On the up side I have been told by everyone (well everyone that knows about these things) that I have Mnogo Hobovo (very beautiful or brilliant) Pepper & Tikva (Pumpkins) Yeay cause the domat's (tomatoes) are not faring too well either although I have loads ripening on the vines some plants are dying. I have baby bop (runner beans) I counted 12 & 1 krastavitsa (Gherkin) haha.




Need more days of sunshine to get them to ripen up.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Lets hope it won't be long before I can eat one! Then it will be a constant supply, well we hope!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
My 1st cuecumber there are more growing but tiny this will be picked soon
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
My baby beans LOL
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
We planted 24 beans & only got 2 plants, both on the same pole! Only one cuecumber plant this year as they were rubbish last year, just starting to produce
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment